PTE考试:英文俚语分享,你知道几个?

2018-08-15 15:43 1738603次浏览
分享至:


    英语俚语在日常生活中的运用十分广泛,正确使用俚语,会让你的表达更“生动”。俚语比喻一般比较“夸张”,所以很适合用来表达自己的心情和想法。下面就和课窝网看看今天的俚语分享吧。

PTE口语:英文俚语分享,你知道几个?

  1. jump the gun 草率行事

  Don't jump the gun. We have to be patient for a while.

  不要草率行事。我们应该耐心等一会儿。

  2. jump to conclusion 妄下结论

  Don't jump to conclusion. We have to figure it out first.

  不要妄下结论,先把事情搞清楚。

  3. lemon 差的,很次

  This car is a real lemon. It has broken down four times.

  这辆车真次,已经坏了四次了!

  4. fishy 可疑的

  His story sounds fishy. We should see if it's really true.

  他的故事听起来可疑。我们应该看看到底是不是真的。

  5. flip out 乐死了

  Chris flipped out when I told him that we won the game.

  我告诉克里斯我们赢了比赛时,他乐歪了。

  6. fix someone up 撮合某人

  I think Xixi and Macaulay would make a perfect couple. Let's fix them up.

  我想 Xixi 和 Macaulay 会是理想的一对,我们来撮合他们吧。

  7. take a shine to 有好感

  He really likes you. There are very few people he takes a shine to right away.

  他真的喜欢你。他很少对人一见面就有好感的。

  8. third wheel 累赘,电灯泡

  You two go on ahead. I don't want to be a third wheel.

  你们两个去好了,我不想当电灯泡。

  9. ripoff 骗人的东西

  What a ripoff! The new car I bought doesn't work!

  真是个骗人货!我买的新车启动不了!

  10. rock the boat 找麻烦

  Don't rock the boat! Things are fine just the way they are.

  别找麻烦了,事情这样就够好了。

  11. blow it 搞砸了,弄坏了

  I blew it on that last exam.

  我上次考试考砸了。

  12. in hot water 有麻烦

  He is in hot water with his girl friend recently.

  近段时间他跟女友的关系有点僵。

  13. put one's foot in one's mouth 祸从口出

  Wally is always saying such stupid thing. He has a real talent for putting his foot in his mouth.

  沃力尽说这种蠢话。他真有惹是生非的本事。

  14. flop (表演、电影等)不卖座,失败

  The movie was a flop. Nobody went to see it.

  这部电影卖座率奇低,没有人去看。

  15. drop in/by/over 随时造访

  Feel free to drop in anytime. I'm usually home and I'd love the company.

  欢迎随时来坐坐。我通常在家,也喜欢有人做伴。

  16. drop a line 写信

  Drop me a line!

  给我写信!

  17. a bad hair day 不顺利的一天

  A: What's the matter Sam? You look upset.

  山姆,你没事吧?你看起来气色很不好。

  B: Oh, it's nothing. I'm just having a bad hair day -- everything's going wrong.

  哦,没什么。我只是今天不顺利,所有事情都出错了。

  除此之外,如果为了表达诙谐的语气,a bad hair day 的主语还可以是物。

  My computer is having a bad hair day.

  我的电脑今天罢工了。

  18. pull someone's leg 开某人的玩笑

  A: I met David Beckham in a pub last night and he bought me a drink.

  我昨晚在酒吧遇见贝克汉姆了,他还请我喝了杯酒。

  B: Are you pulling my leg?

  你在开玩笑吗?

  I was just pulling Karl's leg when I said Marissa wanted to go out with him, but he believed me and he called her. And now they really are going out!

  我只是跟卡尔开玩笑说,玛瑞莎想和他去约会,但他居然相信了我,还打电话给马瑞萨。现在,他们居然真的出去约会啦。

  19. let the cat out of the bag 泄漏秘密

  We planned to give her a surprise party, but he let the cat out of the bag.

  我们计划给她一个令人惊讶的派对,但是他把事情泄露了。

  Their engagement was to be a secret but the ring on her finger let the cat out of the bag.

  他们俩订婚原本想保密的,可是她手指上的戒指却泄露了秘密。

  The criminal was hiding away from the police, but a small boy let the cat out of the bag when he told the police that there was a man in the house.

  罪犯正躲避警方的搜查,但一位小男孩泄漏了秘密,他告诉警方屋里有一个男人。

  Do you know?

  这个短语的来源至少有两种,其中之一是说,早在超市出现之前,人们通常在当地的市场买菜和家禽。在一些特殊的场合(如节日盛宴),乳猪是采购单上一样很抢手的食物。由于乳猪会乱动,当顾客挑选好并结账后,商人为了运送方便就把猪塞进一个帆布口袋(poke)里递给顾客。

  然而,奸商有时会利用顾客一时走神,把流浪猫冒充乳猪放进袋子里。直到顾客回家,“把猫从袋子里拿出来”(let the cat out of the bag),才发现这个骗局。所以这个词组意味着是一个意外的、但通常令人讨厌的发现。据说这也是谚语“不要买装在袋子里的猪”(don't buy a pig in a poke)的由来,也就是“不要不看现货就买东西”的意思。

  20. white elephant 购买或保存起来十分昂贵却无实际用处的东西

  The fountain is a white elephant.

  这个喷水池真是废物。

  The foreign aid tothe country was believed to be nothing but a white elephant.

  那个国家得到的外援不但无益反而成了沉重的负担。

  When he planned to sell his house, his expensive furniture became white elephants.

  他想要卖房子的时候,他的昂贵的家具成了累赘。

  Do you know?

  a white elephant 这个短语是来源于印度,由于印度人是很崇拜大象的,对于大象尤其是白象视若神灵。印度规定,白象是不可以宰杀、干活的,拥有白象的人家要好好地养着它,不可以虐待它,直到它死去。所以人们将白象视为一种累赘,这也就是white elephant 的由来。

  由于white elephant 有上述的意思,因而出现了a white elephant sale(白象义卖)。不过这种以慈善为目的的义卖,所卖的不是白象,而是有心人士所捐出的家里不再需要之物品。

  21. get out of bed on the wrong side 心情不佳

  The Prime Minister must have got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

  首相今天心情欠佳。

  He must have got out of bed on the wrong side today, because he has shouted at everybody in the office.

  今天他准是情绪不佳,办公室里的每一个人他都训斥了。

  The man went to bed very late and got up on the wrong side of the bed.

  这个人很晚才睡,所以醒来时情绪很差。

  22. losing the plot 疯了

  I was waking up in the middle of the night, not knowing who I was or where I was. I really thought I was losing the plot.

  我半夜醒来,发现我不知道我是谁,也不知道我在哪里。我想我是真的疯了。

  She knows people think she's "losing the plot" following the break down of her marriage to Peter Andre.

  以上就是小编为大家介绍的关于英语俚语分享,记得抄笔记哦。更多PTE考试流程、PTE写作难点等问题,可以咨询我们。

a19.png


猜你喜欢

1 / 3
获取专属留学方案
选择教育程度
  • 小学
  • 初中
  • 高中
  • 大学
图片验证码
提交